Follow Me

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Five for Friday


After an unplanned blogger break, I'm back to posting again. I figured I would try my hand at posting in the Five for Friday

 #1- Creating blogs on iPads!

I am trying out blogger on my iPad, any other bloggers out there compose blog posts using iPads? Give me some tips/hints/apps/suggestions if you use an iPad. My iPad is always with me so I'm thinking it may be easier for me to update on my iPad than anywhere else. If you've had any experience with this please let me know in the comments. 

#2 - Schools out for Summer!
I teach in Eastern Ontario and Friday was our last official day of work! Our students attended school on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday and Friday were professional activity days meaning only teachers in attendance. We had team meetings, staff meetings and prepared our rooms for "deep cleaning" over the summer. I am thrilled that this year I don't have to switch schools or classrooms! Hooray! Bring on the summer!

#3 Relaxing Staycation!
We have no big plans for the summer, just some day trips here and there. This is due to the fact that our vacation budget was spent/blown on the amazing March Break trip we took this past year. We visited Disney World and sailed on the Disney Dream! It was an incredible vacation and I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled we were. The cruise was amazing! Here's a few of my favourite pics.





#4 Reflecting on the past School Year - Play Based Inquiry Learning
As you may or may not know Ontario phased in a brand new play based kindergarten curriculum with its introduction to Full Day Kindergarten three years ago. Basically the entire document stresses the importance of children learning through play. It encourages us to let children guide their own learning and for educators to help them extend and challenge their learning through their play. Anyways it seems to be a stark contrast between every thing I've read about the common core curriculum so many bloggers talk about. Here's a link to the curriculum document if you are interested in reading more. Hopefully I can create a few more in depth postings about this later this summer. Here's a couple shots of the students in my classroom involved in play.


Pretending to travel on an airplane

Building a fishing boat

Creating our own bakery

#5 Wedding Season


Mr. G and I are off to attend our first wedding of the summer season this weekend. Love is in the air. The wedding is for a former work colleague of Mr. G, so it should be a lot of fun. Anyways I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I'm very excited to be returning to the world of blogging.








1 comment:

  1. Found you through Five for Friday. Thank you for sharing about the play-based curriculum. As a kindergarten teacher, I definitely struggle to keep things developmentally appropriate and child-centered as our expectations get higher and higher. I'm the only teacher at my school that still does play centers every day. I'm excited to read more about you do things in Canada!

    Danielle
    Carolina Teacher

    ReplyDelete